College is stressful—you don’t have to tell me that. Trying to balance your classes and a part-time job is hard enough. Throw a social life, staying in touch with your family, and figuring out what’s going on in your love life makes it downright impossible. It’s easy to get frustrated or upset when you can’t quite do everything the way that you want to. I came up with a list to help you stay stay positive when you need to de-stress and find a little happy:
1. Go for a run. It may be tough to find the motivation, but you’ll be glad you did it afterwards.
2. Get a gym membership or hit up the workout facilities on campus. Set yourself a goal to work out 3-4 times a week. You’ll feel better each day and get a sense of accomplishment from fulfilling a goal.
3. Concentrate on your thoughts. Change the way that you think. When you realize that you are thinking negatively try to stop these thoughts and change to a more positive tone or outlook. Your thoughts are EVERYTHING. What you think, you become. Remember that.
4. Every morning decide that today will be a good day.
5. Don’t talk badly about people. Anyone can find the dirt in someone, be the person who finds good in others.
6. Stop procrastinating. Make lists to keep you on track and get shit done. Nothing feels better than crossing a task off that you actually completed off of a list. You are full of potential and far too smart to be the only thing standing in your way.
7. Stop worrying what people think about you! Their opinion is completely irrelevant anyway, so chill, girl.
8. College is so stressful. Next time you’re stressed, try this: Take a step back and breathe deep. Remember who you are and why you’re here. You’re never given anything in this world that you can’t handle. Be strong. Be flexible. Love yourself and love others. Just keep moving forward.
9. Be thankful for what you have. This is something we all take for granted. You have countless blessings that other people would KILL to have.
10. Surround yourself with supportive, caring friends. College is hard enough. You don’t need to worry about flaky friends—you deserve much better than that.
11. As hard as it is to go to class, go. Each time I’ve skipped a class, I’m even more stressed out going to the next class. Skipping class 3 times a semester is acceptable. Take advantage of it when you don’t have a 9am to go to. Party it UP. Or sleep, whatev.
12. Try to see the good in everything and everyone.
13. Drink water, lots and lots of water. It will keep you functioning. It clears up your skin. It’s free at most places. Carry a water bottle around with you all the time.
14. When you’re out shopping with your girlfriends, getting lunch with an old friend, or simply spending time with yourself, look around. Look past what you’re doing and take in the beauty of the world! There is so much to look forward to, and this world we were born into is incredible.
15. Appreciate what you have. This goes for friends, family, significant others, your health, etc. You never know when something will be gone.
Trying to stay positive can be difficult, especially during hard times. But with these useful tips you’ll be on your way to happiness! Try to remember that everyone is fighting a battle that you know nothing about. Don’t take life too seriously, have fun, stay positive, fall in love, do things you’ll regret. It builds character.
Victoriana White of Hudson, NY, is a Fashion Journalism student at the University at Albany. Her goal is to work at a Fashion magazine in New York City. She enjoys yoga, coffee, dogs, interior design, Pinterest, Tumblr and all things hair and makeup!